Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hog Heaven

Before becoming a mom, I would have never anticipted how much I would dislike making dinner every night. Twelve years of "eww gross" and "do we have to eat that" have really soured my culinary ambitions. Most nights I just resort to whatever I can throw together that is quick, easy, and least likely to raise complaints. One of my favorite parts of visiting my parent's house is that someone else does the cooking.

Grandma has made us a lot of good stuff since we arrived, including an incredible Black Forest Cherry Cake for my birthday (yummm!), but the kids' favorite by far was Monday night's spaghetti. Like haute cuisine, Grandma's spaghetti wasn't so much about the food as the presentation. A delicious spaghetti dinner very literally laid out on the table before us--notice anything missing?
DSC02116
The kids were delighted when Grandma announced dinner would be eaten sans untensils.
DSC02123
It wasn't long before the food started to fly.
DSC02126
DSC02127
Within minutes we all looked like this:
DSC02139
and this:
IMG_1045
and this:
IMG_1046
Well, all of us except Bryce who got very upset when the pasta started to go airborne, and wanted no part in the insanity that had overtaken his family.
IMG_1055
When we'd had our fill,
DSC02137
there was nothing left to do but wash up and, for once, the kids didn't even complain about helping.
DSC02143

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha! How fun! My kids would love the opportunity to throw food at each other! The food looks so yummy too! I want to dig right in myself!

Your mom was VERY brave to wear white! :)

Anonymous said...

That is the funniest thing I have seen in a LONG time!

Kim said...

Yeah, I can't believe your mom wore white either. And I loved your shirt Cindy!

Tami said...

That is such a fun idea! I like your shirt too! Nice to see a pic of your mom. Hey, if you ever want to visit Austria, we don't live too far!

Tami said...

p.s. The spaghetti in the nose is gross! :)

Laynie said...

Hahaha! Thank you for posting MORE pictures from that excited crazy night. I wish I could be there!

Laynie said...

Tami, is that you? Julie's little sister? Recognized your face.. It made me I knew you somewhere..

Tami said...

Laynie, yes, it's me: Julie's little sister! :) I love reading this blog. Good to "see" you!

Lisa said...

LOL! That is so funny! What a fun mom you have!

danakat said...

SO funny!!!
And gross. Yeah, probably more gross than funny...but that's still a lot of funny.

Please tell me the sauce washed out of your shirt. I love that shirt, you know.

Kim Mayfield said...

I have to confess that I loved this idea so much that I "borrowed" it (I promise I'll give it back!;)) with my own family. Thanks for sharing!!