A few weeks ago I got an email from Brandon's English teacher letting me know that Brandon would be receiving an award at their upcoming eighth grade awards ceremony and inviting me to attend. I didn't know if this was supposed to be a surprise so I didn't say anything to Brandon, but I showed up at the middle school on Thursday morning and sat through an extremely long assembly where Brandon received a certificate for having the highest grade in his English class. I was pretty proud of my kid and felt like a good parent for suffering though the awards ceremony to show my support.
When Brandon came home from school, he asked me why I had come to the assembly. I told him his teacher invited me and I was excited about his award. He then burst my proud parent bubble by letting me know that "everyone else in my class is really, really stupid so it's not like that award means too much." Sigh. I'm going to choose to interpret that remark as humility on Brandon's part and not an indication that I wasted my whole morning sitting in the middle school gym.
Thursday night at his band banquet, Brandon was 'honored' with an other award. He was recognized for being the first kid in band history to ever loose a Walt Disney World admission ticket on the band's recent field trip to Florida. Funny, Brandon never mentioned that incident to us when he was telling us all his adventures on the trip.
With two such illustrious awards in his pocket, one might think Brandon's week couldn't get any more exciting but, on Friday night at his end of the year band concert, he received one more award and this one actually had a little weight. He was named the "Most Outstanding Percussionist" in his band. I'm really proud of all his accomplishments this year (well, except for the ticket losing thing) whether he thinks they are big deals or not. He's made many new friends, matured a lot, and is ready to start high school in the fall.
Here is one of the songs from Brandon's concert on Friday. Brandon is in the third from the left in the back row playing tambourine.

1 comment:
Congrats to Brandon for his english class award. I am sure it has more merits than he thinks.
Post a Comment