Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Money Tree

Every once in a while I find something that turns on my spiritual light bulbs. Do you know that feeling? You experience something and, all of a sudden, your brain starts making connections. Sometimes I can almost hear the "ding" as a new idea pops into existence. Today I had that experience when I watched this video:




Why don't more people recognize truth? Gordon B. Hinckley once made the statement that he was "not surprised that comparatively few people join the Church from among the large number on whom the missionaries call." In fact, he said he was "amazed that so many do." ( “The Miracle of Faith,” Ensign, May 2001, 67) But, unlike Pres. Hinckley, this has always perplexed me--until I saw the same principle in action on the streets of Chicago.

The most common reaction to the tree filled with money was no reaction. People walked by without even paying attention. One man even got off his bike to pick up a dollar that had fallen off the tree and never noticed the eighty others above his head. Most of us are so wrapped up in ourselves that we can not or will not see what is right in front of our faces.

One poster made the comment that this experiment would have gone down a lot differently if it had been done in a less affluent part of town. Maybe so. But likewise, where do we see more people accepting the gospel? In places of abundance? I don't think so.

And just one last thought--you'll notice that people were more influenced by the actions of those around them then by the tree itself. At one point, there was a woman pointing out the tree to others. More often, people stopped in groups or because they saw someone else showing interest in the tree. If you know the truth, what is your responsibility?

6 comments:

Christa said...

Good observation Cindy. My first reaction to the story was that I expected the first person to find the tree would 'harvest' all the money.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love interesting social experiments. And your thoughts were interesting as well. Thanks for sharing.

hope said...

I probably would have never associated this experiment with the Gospel. I love your thoughts on this though. So true!!

Laynie said...

Whoa! You supergospel! :D Thanks for sharing with us! I was surprised how many people didn't noticed the money on the tree.. :D That was amazing video.

Kim said...

Cindy, I copied your post and reposted it on FB without your name. I thought it was a great comparison for sharing the gospel. It was a great addition to my day! Thanks.

Heather said...

Wow, that is such an accurate comparison. Thank you for sharing! I think i was most impressed by the idea of someone taking the money and then needing to literally point it out to others before they would notice it.