Natalie had another birthday and I am totally in denial. There is no way I can be old enough to be mother to a 16 year old! Is there? Of course, Natalie is doing very little to force me to face the reality of her growing up. She is certainly not the stereotypical 16 year old. Eager to get her driver's license? Um, not at all. (We finally dragged her down to get her permit this spring and then forced her into driver's ed over the summer. She didn't do too well.) Spends all day with on the phone or with friends? Yeah, not really. Worried about her appearance? Not so much. Excited about that first date or big dance? Don't think so.* Really, the only thing that keeps reminding me that my baby is growing up,other than her increasingly mature behavior, is the fact that school starts next week and she will be a junior. A Junior! Sniff. Sigh. I feel like I should break into the chorus of "Sunrise, Sunset".
For her big birthday bash, Natalie invited a few friends over for a Legend of Korra marathon. They ate our interpretation of Water Tribe food (green noddles and sesame chicken) and watched the entire season of Korra. Natalie even used her artistic skills to decorate her cake to look like Pabu. It was almost too cute to eat. (Seriously, Natalie had to look away when I cut him up. She has a thing about eating cute food.)
Happy Birthday, Natalie. I wouldn't trade you for the world!
*There is someone in the family who has been concerned about
Natalie's love life, or lack thereof. The other day Brandon came to me
and said, "I can't believe Natalie has
been 16 for 2 weeks and nobody has asked her out yet. If I was her
age, I would take her out. She's so fun!" Awww, you've got to love a
brother like that.

6 comments:
A junior?! She IS getting old!
Will she be taking the SAT/ACT this year?
Soooo many similarities to my 16 year old. Mine does want to be asked out, but hasn't been yet. As a mother, I am not sad about it at all.
What? No stewed sea prunes or at least some ocean kumquats?
I think Natalie is doing great- she is defiantly an exceptional young lady!
yes, defiantly!
Ha Ha Tim- can't anyone make a spell check error in peace around here?
Love the cake! Natalie did an awesome job! I love that she had a Legend of Kora marathon too! My kids would have loved that! Her and Joy are so much alike, although she did really push to get her drivers permit. But, neither of them have any interest in boys or talking on the phone. I guess that's why they never call each other! ;)
Post a Comment