Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fairy Cakes and Birthday Suits

When you think of throwing a birthday party for a 12-year-old boy, a fairy cake probably isn't an idea that comes to mind, but that was exactly what Brandon asked for this year.  Ok, in his defense, the particular fairy that he wanted was Navi from the Legend of Zelda games, who is basically a blue ball with wings who helps Link find his way around.  So, really it wasn't actually girly at all--even if it was powder blue with blue glitter sprinkles.  Really--totally masculine.  hee-hee.

I did the cake with our round cake pans and Natalie crafted the paper wings, and then we all had a lot of fun teasing Brandon about his fairy birthday cake.



To celebrate the big day, Brandon had a couple of his friends over Friday to spend the night.  They painted their own Zelda shirts, went mini golfing, watched a movie, ate pizza, and played lots of video games.  In between (and during) all the excitement of friends and partying, Brandon spent a good part of the weekend texting everyone he knows on his new cell phone in an attempt to break Emily's monthly text record.  I don't think he has a realistic chance, but it's good to have goals, right?



On Sunday, clad in a brand-new suit, Brandon received the priesthood and was ordained to be a deacon. The whole family got to go in and see him ordained, and it was very touching for all of us.  Natalie and I both blubbered, and even Mark choked up a little bit.  Afterwards I got a nice long hug from my big boy which was pretty sweet, too.

And if parties and ordinations weren't enough, now that Brandon is 12 he is old enough to go with the boy scouts to camp so, early Monday morning, he left for a week of scout camp. We can't wait until he comes home. We miss that kid.


6 comments:

Laynie said...

12? Are you good at counting? Gee... He looked handsome in new fancy suit!.. Are you sure he is 12 years old?

Tim said...

he looks pretty dapper in that suit of his. congrats to the big man.

Christa said...

I have to agree with everybody else, Brandon does look very handsome in his new suit. I seems that the cat on your phone, who claimed to know the future didn't know what it was talking about when Brandon wanted to know if he would be very handsome when he got older.

Heather said...

Looking good, Brandon! :)

Catherine said...

Zackary says, "Best cake ever." I would agree, but I had a Portal cake for my birthday. ;) I am currently playing Ocarina of Time, and I must say Navi is one of my favorite characters. I'm sure Zackary would love to talk Zelda with Brandon.

Liesl Joy said...

Adam thinks his cake is Epic!! I love it! But how do you have the heart to cut through such a masterpiece? Brandon's such a stud! He looks way too grown up!