I know, I'm endangering their lives. I've seen the watermelon demonstration that is done in elementary school where the police man drops the watermelon and it splatters all over the pavement because it had no helmet. My kids do own helmets. I just can't seem to put forth the effort required to make sure they wear their helmets for every 2 minute ride around the cul-de-sac. Call me crazy, but I think our kids are too sheltered as it is.
This is not to say that we don't like to give the appearance of being good parents, so of course, when Brandon's scout pack went on a bike ride yesterday, we were digging through the garage trying to find his helmet on our way out the door. We did find it. In fact, except for the dust and spiderwebs, it looked almost new. However, when he put it on, I noticed a bit of a problem.
Brandon must have grown a bit in the last few years, because the helmet perched on top of his head like a gumdrop on an orange. He could barely get the straps to buckle under his chin. There was no way he could go wearing that helmet. In desparation, I dug out two bigger helmets which just happen to belong to Natalie and Emily. Emily's was rejected right away. It was pink with purple hearts. This left Natalie's helmet as the only choice. It was maroon and silver--not too shabby. Unfortuneately, it also had some feminine details, like a pattern of purple and silver swirls and butterflies that ran around the entire helmet.
Now, as I said before, we are not a politically correct family and Brandon let us know in no uncertain terms that he was not going to show up at scouts with a girlie butterfly bike helmet. This left me with some quick thinking to do. There was no time to run to the store for a new helmet. There was no time for spray paint. There was only one option. Macgiver's old standby. Yes, ductape! I quickly taped over all the girlie stuff and--presto!--a tough, cool, taped-up-like-you've-been-in-an-accident boy's helmet. Brandon had a great time at scouts and Natalie wasn't even upset to have her helmet all taped up. Because, after all, she never wears it.
2 comments:
well done, cindy. crisis averted.
Yep, we're the same. No Helmets for the most part. Bad thing is that someone saw fit to get Obi a pink and light blue rabbit helmet. Needless to say that these days it will not be worn. Obi doesn't like it and nor does Dad.
Post a Comment