Sunday, August 16, 2009

School

We've survived the first week of school. We had no major complaints about classes, or teachers, or homework (we haven't really had any yet), and seem to be on course for having a good year.

Emily, Brandon and Bryce are going to a brand spankin' new elementary school this year. As you can see from the photo, the building is incredible! I have never seen such a fancy elementary school. This place has everything from classrooms wired with all the latest computer and internet technologies, to fancy art, music, science and computer labs. There are only two things missing--books in the library and a playground. Yes, the 15 million dollars spent on the school were apparently not enough to stock the library or provide playground equipment. Call me crazy, but I think a playground should come standard on an elementary school. There was however plenty of money to make the school Alabama's first LEED-certified school. ("Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification is administered by the United States Green Building Council. Certification means the building meets specific requirements and recommendations to be a green, or energy efficient, structure.") I'm sure that a lot of weirdness went into earning that title. The two biggest differences I saw in our new green school as compared to our old school: waterless urinals and crazy parking signs out front.

The kids' favorite part of the new school was the lockers. My kids have been excited all summer to get to the new school and see the lockers. All of the younger grades have lockers in their classrooms, and the 5th and 6th grade wing has lockers in the hallway. Only the hallway lockers actually have locks. Which makes sense, as I can imagine the confusion that memorizing locker combinations would cause in kindergarten. As it was, Emily said the 5th and 6th graders spent the better part of Wednesday learning the intricacies of how to work their new combination locks.

So, one week down and about 40 left to go. I hope they all go as well as the first.

7 comments:

Melissa Lyon said...

That school does look beautiful! how fun to go to a brand new school- except for the boring recess and library times. But this way I am sure you get to participate in tons of exciting and new fundraisers!!!
One thing that cheapo me hates about our kids school here is that they have no permanent school colors. They change the colors every year and then sell a new official school T-shirt to everyone to raise money for the PTO. Who would be caught dead wearing last years brown shirt on spirit days when the color this year is blue? This seems really weird to me, but maybe it is standard practice- have you heard of it before?
Our school starts tuesday and I am very very ready!!!

Cindy said...

I have never heard of changing school colors like that. That is weird.

Tami said...

I wish they had a parking sign like that here! We'd get to take advantage! Changing school colors is weird.

Julie Vorhauer said...

We don't start school until next Wed. It will be a tough one with Hannah starting at the middle school. She loves change so much and has been lamenting this one for more than a year. I think that the consensus is that changing school colors is strange.

Christa said...

Wow, that is one impressive school building. Too bad there are no books or play equipment, but who needs those when you have such a cool building.

Natalie Petrucka said...

...I had complaints about the first day of school...

kg said...

Totally agree that a playground should come standard with a new school!!!