Friday, August 2, 2013

Seventeen

Happy, happy birthday, Natalie.  It seems like Natalie's birthday always falls just at the right time to be filled with all kinds of fun back-to-school chores, like registration and band camp, and this year was no exception.

Natalie's special day, which included a uniform fitting and several hours at band camp, started off with an appointment to have her senior pictures taken.  To say she was not very interested in this rite of passage would be a gross understatement, but she did humor her poor mother enough to let me fix up her hair and put a little make up on her.  Before we left, I snapped a picture of her all dolled up.  Everyone who sees it comments on how much Natalie looks like me.  I've never thought we looked that much alike before so I had to get out my senior pictures to compare.  I was kind of surprised. I guess we do look kind of similar.


























Natalie's appointment started out with having some casual shots done.  The photographer claimed that he wanted her to look "natural" and "relaxed" and kept telling her to "just sit normally" immediately follow by "well, not like that--move your hands, turn your chin, tilt your head, drop your shoulders" etc.  Poor girl, she was not cut out to be a model.

After taking several casual shots, they took her back to the changing room to help her into the "drape".  I don't know if yearbook shots of guys in tuxes and girls in drapes its a southern thing or an east coast thing or what (at my high school all the students, guys and girls, had their pictures done in graduation gowns) but when Natalie was told that she would have to take off her shirt (and bra!) and don a black tube top which was then covered up only by a velvet v-necked cape-like thing draped around her shoulders and held on in the back by velcro and a clothes pin, you'd have thought she was being asked to pose nude.  We haven't seen any of the proofs yet, but I highly doubt any of them are going to look very "natural".

Since she know that she wouldn't have any free time on her actual birthday, Natalie celebrated the weekend before by having some friends over to spend the night.  Instead of a birthday cake she made cake pops, some of which she decorated to look like soot sprites.  They were very cute, but it was really hard to get them all to stand up straight and hold candles.


























This year Natalie wanted a bow for her birthday.  She got it a couple of weeks ago so that she could have more time to practice with it before she got busy with band and school and everything.  After we had bought the bow, a few arrows and the arm guard, we didn't want to shell out any more money for a target, so the guy at the store told us we could shoot into a hay bale (which we didn't really have lying around) or a piece of old carpet (which we did have).  So Natalie made her own "ghetto" target by spray painting dots on a carpet remnant and draping it from a broom handle between two chairs.  She's been out practicing every day and is getting pretty good, at least when she's not too far from the target.

1 comment:

Christa said...

I like Natty's un-cake, it looks very sophisticated. Do you remember that we still have a bow in our closet? I found it when the kids where rummaging around in all sort of nooks and crannies. I think it was uncle Bruce's but I don't remember how it ended up at our house.