This was an interesting Halloween and I don't know whether to feel relieved or nostalgic. For the first time in 17 years, partially because of schedules and partially because of the weather, not one of the kids went trick-or-treating.
Both Natalie and Emily knew they would be busy with school activities (Emily had cheer practice from 7 until 9 and Natalie had a football game--yes, on a Halloween Thursday night! I don't know what they were thinking.) but Brandon and Bryce had big plans. Unfortunately, the weather didn't want to work with them. The forecast for Halloween night was supposed to be wet and stormy.
Brandon and a few of his friends decided that they were going dress up as Pikmin and they were kind enough to let Bryce join them. The boys all bought morphsuits (Brandon is the red and Bryce is the white) and spent Halloween afternoon making a complete mess of my kitchen while crafting their eyes and headpieces. They used styrofoam balls to make their eyes, and they thought that they could just tape the eyes onto their costumes, but that didn't work very well. I spent a lot of time resticking eyes and retaping flowers on Pikmin just to get this one photo.
By the time they were done making their costumes, it was already starting to rain. Since the weather was only supposed to get worse as the night went on, I told them they'd better hurry if they wanted to get any trick-or-treating done before the storm hit. As soon as they got outside, the wind started blowing their costume pieces off and, as umbrellas were out of the question because the flowers on their heads were too tall, the boys quickly decided that they didn't want to get all wet just for some candy so they stayed home and watched scary movies instead. We didn't get too many trick-or-treaters coming to the door because of the wet weather so I just let the boys eat the candy I had bought to hand out and most everyone was satisfied.
Bryce was a little disappointed with how the evening turned out. He wasn't allowed to watch the scary movie with the older boys and I think he really wanted to go out trick-or-treating, even with the rain, but neither Mark nor I wanted to take him. Poor Bryce, I guess that's what you get when you are the baby of the family. I was proud of the fact that he handled his disappointment pretty well though. I guess even Bryce is growing up. Sigh.

1 comment:
They made awesome Pikmin!
Post a Comment