Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why Moms Should Stay at Home


I love being a stay-at-home mom. Sure the job has its ups and downs, but honestly, I there's nothing else I'd rather do. One of my favorite parts of being a mom is getting to swoop in like a superhero and rescue one of my kids from peril, or from their own stupidity, whichever the case may be. Today I got to be Super-Mom twice--for the same kid.

This morning, just as I was getting into a good rhythm with the toilet brush, I got a call from the kids' elementary school. It was Brandon. He informed me, in a very quiet voice, that he'd forgotten his underwear this morning. Now this story would be a lot funnier if I just left that sentence hanging out there with no explanation, but for the sake of preserving Brandon's reputation, I have to explain that Brandon's class has been going down to our local aquatic center for the past several days to have swimming lessons. To save time in the changing rooms, the students are supposed to wear their swimming suits under their clothes and then bring underwear to change into after getting out of the pool. Now, I have brought a lot of forgotten items to school over the years, but bringing underwear was a first. I was tempted to bring the underwear in a clear ziplock bag with his name written in big letters on the front, but I was kind and packaged them discreetly. Hey, that's what a Super-Mom does.

Not two hours after I'd saved Brandon from an afternoon of going commando the phone rings again. It is the elementary school nurse. Brandon had been spinning in circles during recess and got so dizzy that he ran his head into a pole. The nurse didn't think he had a concussion but he did have a very large goose-egg, and she wanted to know if would I like to come down and take him home. So, once again, I jumped into my mom-mobile and drove off to the school to save the day. When I got there Brandon told me that after he had banged his head the teachers made all the third graders go inside. I asked him how it felt to have single handedly shut down recess for the entire grade. He looked at me and said, "I didn't do it with my hand--I did it with my head." Poor kid. Not even Super-Mom will be able to rescue him from the wrath of 150 third graders who had their recess cut short. Good luck at school tomorrow Brandon. You may need it.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I think that is the first shot I've seen on your blog of Brandon with his glasses on. I thought he was wearing contacts or something.

Great mom save for the day! Hope those toilets still got their attention too.

Cindy said...

He is supposed to wear them all the time, but he usually just wears them at school.

Tim said...

i laughed very loudly when i read that brandon forgot his underwear. the very idea tickled my funny bone.

Natalie Petrucka said...

Brandon claims he still has a bump on his head. I think he's lying. Daddy said he just has a "bumpy head" XD