Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Scare


Another Halloween has come and gone. (The above photo is the face Brandon made when we forced him to put his hand inside of his pumpkin to scrape it out.) We had a good time last night and now have a house full of candy. I played a very cruel trick on myself Halloween morning. With all the candy in the house I have been feeling fat. You ladies will know what I mean. Unfortunately, or fortunately, however you want to look at it, our bathroom scale has been broken for the last several months so I had no real way to verify if I just felt like I'd been gaining weight or if I actually had. Halloween morning I went to put on my black Petrucka Family Reunion t-shirt. I was planning on really making a bold statement by dressing up in an elaborate costume of a black t-shirt with an orange sweater. What can I say--I'm a wild woman. When I slipped my shirt over my head I began to panic. It was unusually tight, especially around the stomach area. How much weight had I put on? That shirt is usually comfortably loose and now it was feeling a little restrictive. Yeah, my pants have been feeling a little snug, especially when they first come out of the wash, but I couldn't have gained that much, could I? Just as my heart began to race and my hands began to sweat, I had a revelation. I jerked off the shirt and frantically looked at the label. I had put on Natalie's shirt! It had somehow got mixed up in my clothes in the wash. What a relief!

This year Emily was a witch, Brandon and Bryce were Transformers, and Natalie was a cheetah again. It was the first year that anyone has decided to reuse a costume and I was very excited. I made Emily's costume and Brandon and Bryce's came from Walmart. Another first this year was that Natalie went trick-or-treating with one of her buddies from the neighborhood without any adult supervision. Natalie's friend, Katrina, is the purple witch in our pictures. After all the kids got home there was a massive candy trading session. Oh, the memories that brings back! Now that Halloween is over--let the Christmas frenzy begin! I don't know if I'm ready.

1 comment:

Christa said...

Cute costumes, cute kids! Grandpa and I just scared people with our "YES ON 8" signs at the corner of Olive and M street. Some were so scared of us the yelled and screamed.