Thursday, January 29, 2009

"My, What Strong Teeth You Have!"


A healthy smile is important. That's why I am very careful about visiting my dental health professional regularly. I go in to the dentist's office every 10 years without fail, and my diligence has paid off. I have never had a cavity.

Just before Thanksgiving I was sure that I had finally developed a cavity. My teeth ached and I could feel fissures in two of my molars with my tongue. Mark scrambled around trying to get us some dental insurance, but it was just a big mess. I was starting to think that by the time all the insurance was in order I would need dentures or a root canal. Finally Mark told me just to go in and have the dentist take a look and tell us what kind of work would need to be done. I went in positive that I would need a filling, but as it turned out, I am still cavity free.

You may be wondering what my secret is. I'll tell you in one word: genetics. Let's face it, if tooth enamel was good looks, I'd be a 5 foot 10 inch bikini model. My dentist told me that people who haven't had a cavity by age 25 have about an 80% chance of never having a cavity. Whoo-hoo! Bring on the chocolate!

7 comments:

Roger said...

I don't think your siblings have had many cavities either, so maybe it is my fault. On the other hand, I think I had several cavities when I was a kid.

Laynie said...

Yeah, I had check up mine before I moved to Maryland. I haven't gone to dentist for more than ten years. I only ended up got two very tiny cavities. Whew, I hope that would continue forever.. Lucky you.

Tim said...

Way to go, Cindy! I've never had a cavity either, but I've also never needed braces and only had one wisdom tooth. It's nice to not have to worry about some things.

Heather said...

I've had plenty of cavities that i can remember. And then there was the wisdom tooth extraction disaster...I suppose that's what happens when you're the caboose-- you get stuck with all the bum genes.

Tami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tami said...

I haven't seen the dentist in 6 years, and had to have a checkup for dental clearance before our transfer to Germany. He said I was lucky to have such good teeth, but I'd better get a cleaning once I'm in Germany. I had 3 wisdom teeth. Tim, we are wiser than the rest cause it's cheaper to take less out. I also haven't needed braces.

Mike and Carrie said...

I too am blessed with good teeth. Unfortunately, everytime one of my kids gets a cavity I mentally blame it on my husband.