Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Psychic Homework Hotline

For me, school projects fall into one of two categories: the projects I enjoy and the projects I endure. Many things influence how enjoyable a school project will be. Time, of course, plays a major role. Let's not forget the following true exchange I had with one of my kids who wishes to remain anonymous.

Me:
Do you have any homework tonight?
Kid : Oh, just a little social studies that I might need some help with.
Me: Ok, what do you need?
Kid: I have to build a model of a log cabin.
Me: Um, when's it due?
Kid: Tomorrow.
Me: How long have you known about this project?
Kid: I don't know--a couple of weeks.
Me: Why didn't you bring it home earlier?!
Kid: I don't know. I guess I forgot.

The novelty of a project also plays a big role in how much I enjoy it. This year I am going through kindergarten for the fifth time. What was fun and exciting to make with Natalie has usually lost it's luster by the time I do it with Bryce. Take for example the 100th day of school projects. These are getting particularly loathsome as they are often assigned in both kindergarten and first grade (and sometimes 2nd) which means I have done at least six, that I can remember, since the kids started school.

The 100th day of school project involves making some kind of a display showing 100 of an item. We have sent in displays of M&M's (before candy was outlawed), paperclips, and a paper chain with 100 links (did this 4 different times). I was less than thrilled when Bryce came home last week with the exciting news that January 22nd was going to be the 100th day of school and his homework was to make a 100 project. I just wasn't up to another paper chain, but I didn't feel like coming up an original idea either. And then, I had a dream.

I am not kidding. I dreamed Bryce's 100 day project! Monday night I dreamed Bryce and I made a poster of an alien with 100 google eyes for his 100 day project. I woke up that morning, remembered the dream, and realized it was actually a cheap, easy project. I told Bryce the idea, and he thought it was awesome. That afternoon after about 30 minutes of coloring together and $1.63 spent on google eyes, Bryce had a completed project--finished a day early too.

Maybe I can advertise my project dreaming skills and make a little cash. What do you think? Momma's Psychic Homework Hotline. $5.00 for the first minute and $1.50 for each additional minute. I'll have to look into it.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Please sign me up to be your first customer. Can you do science fair projects? I laughed out loud because I have the same feelings especially about 100 day projects. It must be a universal teacher torture device.