Another conference weekend has come and gone, and every year I enjoy it more. One of my favorite parts of watching General Conference is knowing that my far-flung family and friends are simultaneously camped in front of their respective TVs watching and listening too.
We are trying hard to brainwash our kids into enjoying conference as well. I try to make it a fun thing by having special activities to do and treats to eat while we watch. For the most part, the kids are getting old enough to sit still, or follow their dad's example and sleep. We don't force the kids to watch on Saturday, but I expect them to either be quiet or go to another part of the house so that I can enjoy the session. Saturday afternoon Brandon was driving me crazy with some noisy game he was playing. After telling him to go outside or upstairs several times I broke down, and in desperation yelled, "If you don't be quiet I'm going to make you sit here and watch conference with me!" As soon as the words were out of my mouth I realized they were counterproductive to the whole 'conference is fun' image I was trying to portray, but at least the threat worked. I didn't hear another peep out of Brandon for the rest of the session. We must be having some success though, because when we told Bryce that since he was not yet eight he didn't have watch the Sunday afternoon session and could go upstairs and play he said, "I think I'll just stay. I just like learning about all this church stuff."
4 comments:
That totally cracked me up! I can hear you re-telling that story and it makes me laugh! :)
At least the brain washing is working on one kid! ;)
Cute, cute! In the "awake" pictures Natalie looks a lot like Cindy, I have never seen that resemblance that strong before.
You just have to do what I did and send them all to grandma's house for the weekend. It was quiet and enjoyable. We also had an investigator over to watch the second session with the missionaries. She brought her kids with her and that kept Seth entertained the whole time.
Mom, you stole my spot. I agreed with you that I noticed about Natty looked like lot of Cindy. Wow, I'm very impressed how you handle the kids to "enjoy" the general conference.. :D
Post a Comment