Monday, August 1, 2011

15?!?

15 years old. Wow. Like most parents, I scratch my head with each passing birthday wondering just where the time went. Really. Natalie will be a sophomore in high school this next week. Unbelievable.

To celebrate 15 successful years on the planet, Natalie got to spend all day at band camp and stand in lots of lines at high school registration. (Whoo-hoo! Best birthday ever!) But since, for some reason, she didn't consider all that excitement enough fun for one day, she invited a couple of friends to go to dinner at a Japanese steak house and spend the night. She has such a nice group of buddies, and they had a lot of fun hanging out together.

I like to joke with Natalie that she is my "training kid". I have learned how to be a mom on her. And despite all my mistakes, and worries, she is turning out to be such an incredible person. All that stubbornness and willfulness that used to make me want to bang my head (and hers) against the wall is changing into integrity, determination, and strength of character. I never have to worry about Natalie being peer-pressured into bad choices, because she is steadfast and immovable in her convictions. I can't wait to see what kind of successes this next year holds in store.

5 comments:

Cami said...

fifteen candles! you done good, cindy & mark! happy 15, natalie!

Cami said...

that was from tim. but i'm sure cami means it too

Kim Mayfield said...

I can still remember teaching her in Primary when y'all first moved here! She was sooo quiet and shy, but such a good kid! I am sure she will have a great time at the Bob! I'll miss seeing her at LMS.

Heather said...

It's good to know that those training kids can turn out so great :) Happy Birthday, Nat!

Karen said...

I am right there with you! Time is flying by. I like that "training kid" term. It is so true. Happy Birthday Natalie!