Monday, August 8, 2011
And They're Off
It is quiet in the house this morning. All this kids are in school, and I must admit, I'm a little sad to see them go this year. I guess now that everyone is older and summer is more peaceful than stressful, I'm less excited to send them off.
Natalie is a sophomore and is starting her first year at the high school campus. (Ninth graders are still at the middle school here.) At 6:10, she was the first one out the door this morning as seminary started today too. They are studying the Old Testament this year and say they need every available day to cover all the information. She is soooo not a morning person. Last year Mark went in to her room to wake her up at 5:30 every morning, but this year he told her he wasn't going to be her alarm clock anymore and she would have to get up on her own. She hates waking up to the alarm (Does anyone like that?) and refused to do so claiming she could get up on time without it. And she did it, today anyway. I have my doubts as to whether she can keep it up as the year goes on, but she's proven me wrong before.
As far as getting up early is concerned, Emily is enjoying the first of her two golden years. As a 7th grader, she is in her first year of middle school, which starts later than the elementaries, but she isn't old enough for seminary yet, so she gets a little more time to sleep. Of course, this morning she was up bright and early with the rest of us, too full of nervous excitement to sleep in.
Brandon is a 6th grader and in his last year at the elementary school. He had a really close group of friends that he had to leave behind when the new elementary school was built a couple of years ago and he has never quite recovered. He was pretty disappointed this year to learn that not only did he not have a single buddy in his class, his only two good friends were together in another class. He was so discouraged that we actually did something we have never done with any of the kids before, and called to school to see if we could change Brandon's room. The principal was really kind and offered to switch Brandon to another class, but the class his two friends were in is the advanced math group and Brandon's test scores weren't quite high enough to qualify so he decided to stay where he was. The other day, he came to me and said, "Mom, I guess it won't be so bad. I made a new friend last year and I can do it again." I'm pretty proud of that kid and hope he has a great year.
Bryce is in 3rd grade this year and refused to let me get a picture of him on the way to the bus this morning. He absolutely loved his teacher last year and is really hopeful that his new teacher will be nice, too. I'm hopeful that this year he'll actually learn to spell. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment