Friday, September 4, 2009

Gold Star for Mom

I think it would be nice if there were mothering progress reports. Wouldn't life be a lot easier if every six weeks you got a letter from heaven letting you know where you stand? (Love: meets expectations; Discipline: progressing; Patience: needs improvement.) It would take a lot of the guess work out of parenting, that's for sure.

Bryce has been home from school for the last few days. He came home very tired Tuesday afternoon with a dry cough, a froggy throat and a low fever. (Maybe he has swine flu. ha-ha) He stayed home on Wednesday and by Wednesday night he was feeling much better even though he still had a slight fever. School policy here is that kids must be fever-free for 24hours before they can go back so even though he was feeling better he got to stay home on Thursday, too. I thought he'd be good to go back on Friday, but late Thursday afternoon his fever returned for a few hours. Curses! No school on Friday either! He's got what most kids dream about--all the perks of staying home with none of the "feeling-sick" drawbacks. My other kids are sooo jealous.

When I told Bryce he would be staying home Friday, I was shocked by his reply. "Aww," he said, "I wanted to go to school. Sitting around the house watching TV and playing video games is so boring." I couldn't believe what I'd just heard--from Bryce, my screen addict! I wanted to do a little dance. I made staying at home so dull my kid would rather be at school. Mom wins this round. A+ for me.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Maybe it was his fever talking.

Laynie said...

Maybe Bryce was bored because nobody except mom at home. What's except to be fun without having kids around him? School wins.

Christa said...

Moms win a lot more than they lose, it's just not always that obvious.

Melissa Lyon said...

This is what I would love to hear: "Mom, it's so much more fun to play in my room when it is clean, and I can find all my clothes when they are put away!"

Does the Gold-Star Mom have any advice for achieving that one?