Tuesday, September 1, 2009

One Dirty Tale

I am not really a pet person, but a few years ago, out of love for Natalie, our darling ailurophile who I swear came out of the womb meowing, we got a cat. Harry Pawter and I get along pretty well. I get annoyed when he lays on my feet begging for attention, or when he stalks Bryce, but for the most part he does his thing and I do mine, and that's the way I liked it--until today.

This morning, Harry's thing crossed the line. A typical male, Harry's bathroom habits often leave something to be desired. While he is very good about using his litter box, he is not always very careful to make sure that everything that belongs in the box stays in the box. Which, as a mom of two young boys who seem to have the same problem, I should be used to, but I'm not. Even though I have valiantly cleaned up all kinds of disgusting substances which have come out of my kids over the years, for some reason, cleaning up the little surprises that follow Harry out of the litter box just make my skin crawl. So you can imagine my revulsion when I noticed that the cat was leaving skid marks all over my kitchen floor this morning with the big, wet, clump of stink stuck to the fur under his tail. Someone was going to have to clean up Harry's backside--and fast.

Mark had already left for work, so in a panic, I looked to the kids, after all Harry is technically their cat, but one glance at their screwed up faces told me they would rather let him smear his business all over the house than clean it up at the source. So, as with most of the dirty jobs at our house, the someone to clean it was me. Several wet paper towels and a few shudders of disgust later, a job I swore I'd never do was done. As I repeatedly washed my hands, I had just one thing to say to the kids--"This is why we are not getting a dog!"

8 comments:

Melissa Lyon said...

Thanks for the reminder. We went on a walk yesterday and an itty bitty dog chased us, causing all of my children to yell and scream and nearly die of panic. Am I wrong to refuse my kids to have pets and therefore deny them the opportunity of developing important life skills- like being able to leave the house?
Your dirty tale helped me remember why we have no pets.

kg said...

Oh no. I'm agreeing with the 'no dog' :)

Kim said...

We have a pet hamster now which seems to satisfy most everyone's needs for a pet. All the messes stay in the cage, or on the paper around the cage, as the hamster ends up with bedding out of the cage. But, a hamster is not cuddly or very playful. And they sleep during the day!

I've just got to say, that I love all the great vocabulary terms you introduce me to. Thanks!

Jenni said...

Yuck! I am a pet person - hence 1 cat, 2 dogs but cleaning up hairballs, litter box messes and the occasional other different occurences cause my tummy to roll. I jsut keep thinking that I am glad the cat is an indoor cat and doesn't bring me dead mice and rabbits!

Karen said...

Ok. I am blog stalker. Now you know but I can't help but tell you I can totally relate. Our cat was given away last week for this very problem. I personally dealt with messes for weeks and then I started the family on rotation. It wasn't too long before the understood very well why he was going. Now we are all happy campers. Good luck. It's disgusting.!!!

Tami said...

Pets are so disgusting! My friend has 2 cats, one of which throws up all the time on their Persian rug. I'm with Missy on this one. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the cats name! :)Animals are a lot of work and that is why they are meant to be outside animals! So IF I am ever crazy enough to get another animal down the road...it will be outside! :)

Laynie said...

I like cats but that one EWWWW!