Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Winning Week


Last week Brandon had his first Cub Scout Rain Gutter Regatta. He was very proud of the boat he and Mark had made. Luckily, the boats come in a kit and don't need much actual woodworking expertise to build. I think the required sanding, painting, and gluing just about maxed out Mark's carpentry skill set. I don't know what they will do when the Pinewood Derby comes around.

But, despite the lack of construction experience, Brandon had a pretty good showing. He won 3 races and took third place in his den. He was also awarded the "Good Sportsmanship" prize because he was so energetic about cheering on the other boys. I have noticed this about Brandon at other events and it is really nice to see him be so supportive of the other boys. When Mark came home he said, "They usually give the sportsmanship award as a consolation prize to the boy who doesn't win anything, but Brandon actually earned it."

Emily won big this week too. She had another gymnastics meet on Saturday and was the all-around champion again. Watching her scores come up, I didn't think she was going to do that well, but I guess the judges were just really strict and everyone's scores were a bit lower than usual. Emily won 1st all-around, 1st on floor, 3rd on beam, 4th on vault, and 7th on bars.

No comments: