Brandon took a big step to manhood on Sunday. No, he did not start shaving. He got his first real tie. No more clip-ons, zip-ons, or snap-ons for this kid! He paid close attention as Mark demonstrated all the crossing and threading and pulling necessary for the perfect half-Windsor, but couldn't quite get the hang of it. Eventually Mark had to tie the tie for him. It seems Brandon has a little trouble with knots.I think that Brandon might be the first kid in history who was shown how to tie a necktie before could tie his shoes. Yes, its true. Brandon, at 8-years-old, still cannot tie his shoes. This may sound negligent on our part, but really, how many kids wear shoes with actual laces nowadays?
I honestly don't know that Brandon has ever even owned a pair of shoes with laces. Since all of his shoes have been velcros, flip-flops, slip-ons, or loafers, I never gave much thought to teaching him how to tie when he was younger. He could put his shoes on by himself, and for a mom with 4 small kids, that's all that mattered. Come to think of it, we didn't teach the girls to tie either--they just picked it up somewhere or another. I guess girls are like that.
Needless to say, I think we are going to have to add shoe tying (for both boys) to the tie tying lessons. I'm not too worried. I'm sure that one way or another Brandon will get the hang of both knots before he leaves for college.
5 comments:
Brandon, you are such a handsome kid, I bet the girls in school are all after you. Good luck on your tie tying.
Isn't that what cub scouts is for?
After reading that I realized that Joseph who will be seven soon also has never learned how to tie his shoes. I had never thought about it before because he too has never owned a pair of shoes that had to be tied. When Todd was in Kindergarten shoe tying was on their report card. I guess the change in fashions necessitated a change in grading.
I bet he never learns and spends the rest of his life nagging his wife/mom about ONLY buying him loafers. Congratulations, Cindy, you've created a monster.
He could ask his friends about his shoes...that's how I learned it.
Post a Comment